Wednesday 5 February 2014

Troy Dixon ain't no ordinary hedge fund manager

Oh no. Don't make that mistake, dear reader(s), please. Don't think he's an ordinary, run-of-the-mill hedgie. Troy's got this hedge fund, you see. Over in America, in New York. It's called Hollis Park Partners. And he will be launching the first fund in July with $200 million. Nothing unusual or special about that, you're thinking. Happens all the time, you're thinking. (These readers of mine ... Christ, they're tiresome.) BUT NO! 'What?!' Troy is different because he's been on a journey. 'Yeah?' Oh, yeah. Big time. This cat used to live in the Hollis neighbourhood of Queens, right? 'Okay. That's where he got the name for his hedge fund. Nice.' Now, though, he lives near Duane Park in Manhattan. 'Eh?! Oh, Mikey! I'm blown away by this! You're telling us, this Troy, man, he packed up all his shit in a few cases, and hired a man with a van, and then made the trip from Queens to Manhattan, and then moved into a new apartment?!?!' Yeah, that's exactly what I'm telling you, Voice, because that's what Troy actually did. The man's incredible!

Well, I wish Troy all the best. I'm sure his hedge fund will be a great success. / By the way, he used to be a mortgage-bond trader at Deutsche Bank - for those of you who like details like that. Maybe you should get out more. Or get a hobby.

...


I don't need a hobby, man. I've got my music, and it's my fucking life, you dig? / I recorded Gilly, Gilly yesterday. I'm well pleased with it. The recording isn't technically perfect, but it's exciting and has a lot of vitality. There's one bit where I nearly lose control of the guitar. It reminds me of some footage of Jimi Hendrix I saw where the guitar was jumping out of his hands like a wild animal. Not that I'm comparing myself to Hendrix, you understand ...