Monday 21 July 2014

I don't have any hope for this country

Or any country in the Western world. Or any country in the world, in fact ... / Last night I watched that tough guy from EastEnders with the street gangs of Belize. And now I've just read this. The shit Paul Mason has written about will never be sorted out. There is no way that millions of permanent, secure, well-paid new jobs are going to be created. (He's talking about the young, but it applies to everybody.) Our only hope - or my only hope, at any rate - is the old Bill Hicks' joke about being abducted by aliens. Aliens, abduct me!

Yeah ... / I've always envied Richard Dreyfuss at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. You can just tell those friendly little aliens are going to look after him. No work, no bills, no taxes, no insurance - no hassles! Just flying around the universe in a big fuck-off spaceship. Who wouldn't want that?

...

And that's what Malibu is to me, you know? A big fuck-off spaceship with a beach attached. My chances of ending up there are probably about the same as my chances of a real spaceship picking me up. But you've got to have a dream, ain't ya? Not everyone can be saved. / A few people can be saved though. Maybe you need luck, I don't know. I think you probably need to be a fanatic, like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I've just read his autobiography. The way he arrived in America, not even being able to speak English, and went from champion bodybuilder to film star to Governor of California is just amazing. He really had the mentality of a terminator. You have to forget fear, almost forget you're human. You have to focus on your goal, a big goal, and go after it, never stopping for anything. Or wait for some friendly aliens to take an interest in you. Those are the two choices. But there is absolutely no future in a normal life. A life where you go to work, pay the bills (if you can), vote for scumbags, walk the dog, eat your dinner, watch TV, and wait for death ...