Thursday 22 February 2018

Modelling

I've had Tony Robbins' Awaken The Giant Within for some time. I've put off buying his Unlimited Power because I had the impression it was a weak follow-up, repeating a lot of the first book. [WRONG! Unlimited Power came first. Never mind!] However, I found it yesterday for only £3.99 in one of those bargain bookshops, and it's not bad at all. He talks about modelling. This is basically copying the beliefs and methods of others to get the great results you want in life. One drawback is that you need a lot of information on the person you're modelling. Well, it struck me like a bolt of lightning last night: biographies are the obvious answer, as long as they're good biographies. I've already mentioned, dear reader(s), that Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance is the best biography I've ever read, so I'm going to use that. Now, using Elon Musk as a model for a pop career may seem like overkill, but I think it's what's needed in my situation ... considering my age and the fact that I want to become the greatest ever songwriter.

...

Here's some "useful" stuff about the great man -

Work ethic. Musk has been working one hundred hour weeks for the last twenty-five years (at least). He used to sleep on a beanbag next to his desk. He has meetings while he's eating lunch. He works on his emails while he's interviewing potential new employees. And he's probably more productive in those hours than most people who are workaholics. Actually, I wouldn't even call him a workaholic - which has negative connotations. It's just his lifestyle.*

Ambition. Musk has massive goals that may seem insane to your average person in the street, but he gets results. Who would have thought when Musk was running PayPal that he would one day own a car company with a market cap greater than Ford's? Or that he would develop the Falcon Heavy rocket with a view to colonizing Mars?

Belief. Musk sees himself as a samurai[?]. He says he would rather die than fail[?]. The question marks are there because he now denies he said such crazy shit. However, everything about his life suggests to me that he really believes it.

...

Well, well ... / Not bad, eh? Why don't you give it a go, reader(s), this modelling? As Jordan Belfort once said: You can be a tour de force in your own life!

Laters.


*This is no great sacrifice for me. I've had my carefree youth - where I didn't achieve very much - and now I only have old age and death to look forward to. So why not work, and work, and work?